When you’re on the move and need a burst of energy, it’s always good to keep a few snacks on hand. Ideally, fresh fruits and veggies would be great, but sometimes you need something that’s more portable and easier to snack on. For those of us following a gluten-free diet, we have a great recipe to share for bite sized energy chunks that are great for on the go, at work, or before or after exercise to give you that much needed boost while also delivering a punch of flavor and nutrients.
Here’s what you’ll need (adapted slightly from Oh She Glows):
- ¼ cup of your favorite nut butter (chunky works best! We’re loving almond and pecan right now, but pistachio, peanut, or hazelnut all work great, too!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of crispy rice cereal
- 3 tablespoons organic brown rice syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate, nuts, or dried fruit (try tossing in chocolate and coconut, or dried cherries and chocolate, dried cranberries and blueberries, etc.)
In a bowl, stir together the nut butter, brown rice syrup, and vanilla and them microwave on high for 35-45 seconds. Stir and add in the cereal and your chocolate or dried fruit fillings. Stir until well mixed. Then, wet your hands and shape the dough into firm balls. Place the balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment and freeze for 5 or so minutes. Then, just keep them in an airtight container in the freezer and take them on the go when you need to!
Have a favorite gluten-free snack you’d love to share? Leave a comment!