I bet if I gave all our clients a cortisol test in December, there’s no doubt I’d find sky-high cortisol levels! During the holidays, we seem to change out our good lifestyle habits for bad lifestyle habits. It’s like moving from the Nice list to the Naughty list! You have to ask yourself, “What Would Santa Do?”
For one thing, Santa has elves helping him – lots of them! He has Mrs. Claus preparing lots of healthy meals and making sure he gets in shape before the big 24 hour shift just around the corner. Santa doesn’t stress about Christmas – he’s got it dialed in!
What can we do to have a more joyful, less stressful December? Here is a list of my top ten suggestions that can help you through a hectic holiday season.
1. Simplify! Ask yourself, ‘do I really need to get this done before Christmas?’ What will happen if you don’t cross this or that off your list?
2. Prioritize! Cut your list down. You don’t really need to buy something for everyone. Keep it simple, don’t make things complicated.
3. Get Some Elves! Santa knows how to delegate — so should you! Don’t play the Christmas martyr.
4. Alone Time! Take a few minutes every day to be alone, to center yourself. Spend 10 minutes a day in meditation or just take a nice long bubble bath or a short walk!
5. Eat Well! Have healthy snacks handy like carrot sticks, nuts or snap peas. If you can have something healthy prepared, you can reach for that instead of all the sugary treats that seem to be in abundance this time of year!
6. Breathe! Remember when things get stressful to stop and take 3 deep breaths and think of one positive thing in that moment! You’ll be surprised at how well this works.
7. Pay It Forward! Spread the holiday cheer by letting someone go ahead of you in line at the store, or paying the toll for the person behind you. Pay a compliment to a stranger; you just might make their day and it costs you nothing! You can set a goal to make one compliment a day. You will soon see how good this will make you feel.
8. Believe in Miracles! This is the season of miracles. Look at the world through a child’s eyes; see how everything around us is one big miracle — a snowflake, the full moon or the starry skies.
9. Sleep! Take the time to get a good night’s sleep. Remember, cortisol levels spike when you are stressed and can cause a loss of sleep. Keep good sleep practices, go to bed on time, don’t spend a lot of time online before bed and don’t eat too late. Support your cortisol levels with products like Adaptocrine and Adrenacalm. Support melatonin by increasing serotonin support with products like Serene and Travacor. All of these supplements are available on our web site.
10. Enjoy! Enjoy the moment. This is the only moment we have. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow isn’t promised. Live in the here and now — your life is right now! Enjoy each moment just as it is!
I hope you found my list helpful. Stress is something we can help with at OVitaminPro. We specialize in testing and knowing what works best for people who suffer from chronic stress. There is no need to suffer at Christmas or throughout the year. Give us a call anytime at (877)465-0844! We can help!