February is American Heart Month and at OVitaminPro.com, we want to help you take better care of your ticker! All month long, we’ll be posting helpful articles and resources about heart support supplements that can help you get a better grasp of what you can do to maintain better cardiovascular health. When your heart is healthy, you feel better, extend your longevity, and reduce the risk of many serious health conditions.
So what can you do today to take care of your heart? Well, for starters, you can start off with some little things, like:
- Choose grilled foods over fried foods to cut back on cholesterol and unhealthy fats
- Up your intake of fresh fruits and veggies, which are rich in nutrients and antioxidants.
- Drink plenty of water – hydration is key for good health
- Taking a brisk walk around the neighborhood to up your heart rate and boost energy
In the long run, you’ll want to follow a heart-healthy diet plan and utilize regular cardio exercise to ensure good heart health. You’ll want to get your blood pumping for at least 150 minutes each week through exercise, but if you can, see if you can work in at least 60 minutes of exercise per day! Your heart will thank you! In terms of a heart healthy diet plan, most experts agree that a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean protein is the way to go, but in more specific terms, here are some things you should be incorporating into your diet:
- Omega fatty acids: Found in nuts and fish, omega fatty acids help to lower cholesterol and reduce risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Vitamin E: Up your intake of vitamin E to support heart health through foods like almonds, spinach, chard, turnip greens, sunflower seeds, and bell peppers.
- Antioxidants: Able to reduce inflammation naturally, antioxidants are essential for good heart health. Get yours through foods like blueberries, spinach, broccoli, and sweet potatoes.
Finally, you’ll want to educate yourself on heart healthy issues. At OVitaminPro.com, we’ve put together a variety of heart health resources to help keep you on top of the best ways to care for your heart. Here are a few of our favorites (remember – all systems in the body are dependent on each other, so caring for your heart can be as easy as caring for your immune system!):
- Vitamin E and Heart Disease
- Cardiovascular Basics
- Vitamin E Basics
- Omega 3 and Omega Co 3 Supplements and 4 Ways to Encourage Longevity
Also, be sure to check out this helpful video on cardiovascular system basics: