Ready to start caring for your heart? Here are 10 easy – and delicious – things that you can do with your diet to make it more heart-friendly:
- Up your intake of nuts, especially almonds, as they come packed with heart healthy nutrients. Try mixing almonds in with your oatmeal in the morning or snack on them between meals.
- Try more superfoods, like blueberries, spinach, and broccoli, as they come packed with heart healthy antioxidants plus plenty of vitamins and minerals. You can even make delicious superfood smoothies that use everything from fresh berries to spinach all in the same mix (and they still taste yummy!)
- Go gluten-free. Here’s a great post describing how gluten can play into heart disease: Heart Disease and Gluten Sensitivity.
- Eat more fish, which are rich in heart healthy omega fatty acids. Just make sure the fish is prepared in a lean way (e.g. grilled instead of fried).
- Drink more water. Water helps to detoxify the body, regulate body temperature, and keep our cells healthy.
- Monitor your intake of dairy and fats, which can prove to be detrimental to your heart in large amounts.
- Eat more eggs! Eggs are rich in protein and contrary to popular belief, aren’t terrible for your cholesterol! Keep things lean by eating egg whites instead of egg yolks for the same benefits but lower calories.
- Cut back on the salt, which can raise your risk for many heart-related health issues.
- Same thing goes for sugars. Processed foods and sugary foods are some of the worst things for your heart.
- Get more greens, which contain vitamin E, vitamin C, and other valuable nutrients.
How do you maintain a heart healthy diet?